Saturday 5 July 2014

Glass Etching for Silhouette Challenges

Hello everyone,

How did Friday come round so quickly again? I am ready for another weekend though and especially as this one will include the Wimbledon Finals when we will be glued to our tv with a glass of Pimms and some strawberries and cream!

Over at Silhouette Challenges we are having a special challenge to use etching cream:-


"Special Challenge - Glass Etching" over at

"Special Challenge Glass Etching"
Begins: Saturday July 5
Ends: Sunday, July 20

A blog dedicated to the Silhouette Cutting Machines.
You MUST use a Silhouette somehow in your project.

This is in addition to our regular monthly challenge.

DT members were not required to participate.
We have 8 participating.

Sponsor is:

Winner will receive:
Silhouette Cameo Replacement Cutting Mat

Winners for any challenge is announced on the Winners page on the 3rd day of the following month after a challenge ends.

If you have never used the Silhouette for glass etching here is a how to video.



I  had never tried anything like this before but was happy to step out of my comfort zone and have a go.  For my first experiment I decided to use a flat glass jar and a very simple tulip shape cut from vinyl with my Silhouette Cameo, to make a little tea light holder to hang in a tree. I used etch all cream and left the cream on for 20 minutes before washing it off. I was so excited to have a proper 'reveal' and see that the shape had been etched perfectly! Sorry for the quality of the pictures today but I found it so hard to get good photos of glass.



For my proper try I used a nicely shaped vase from my present drawer. This time I used a more complicated dandelion design from the Silhouette Store, sized it on the mat and then cut it out of copier paper to ensure I liked the look of it on the vase before I cut it from vinyl. It was trickier to apply the vinyl to the curved glass but 20 minutes later, I washed the etch all off and this was the result.



 I was so pleased with how easy it will be to personalise items for people and wanted to start etching everything in sight! These pieces were created using the negative space from the vinyl and it gave me the idea to use positive shapes on a couple of glasses and try a frosting spray with them. I cut some tiny butterflies and dragonflies from vinyl, stuck them on some glasses and masked off the top of each glass with some masking tape. I then took everything outside and sprayed three thin coats of frosting spray, letting each coat dry before adding the next one. I could probably have added an extra coat but I was too impatient and when it had dried, I removed the vinyl and had some frosted glasses




which would make a nice present with a bottle of champagne, and could be personalised by adding names or dates to the glasses depending on the occasion.


Well I thoroughly enjoyed this challenge and would encourage you to head on over and see what the Design Team came up with.


What are you waiting for? Step outside your comfort zone and join in the fun.

Link up your projects below.

11 comments:

Nana said...

WOW, WOW, WOW you really took off with the glass etching. I love all your projects. I must learn how to do the frosting. Have a creative day.
Hugs Nana
♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
♥ Nana's Rag Quilts ♥
♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

Benzi said...

Wow! This is something different for me and looks like so much fun. You did a wonderful job on each project. Each piece is beautiful.

Kate said...

I like all of your projects! Especially the reverse frost. Hadn't thought of that, thanks for the inspirations.

Sue said...

Oh my amazing projects Carol! really gorgeous huggles Sue xxx

Anonymous said...

Omg Carol, these are amazing and you are so clever! I'm beginning to think these Silhouettes are pretty amazing too, they seem to be able to do more than just the normal run of the mill cutting out. I'm pretty impressed, I bet you will inundated with orders soon! ;) xx

Pam said...

Oh Carol, you have done a wonderful job with all of your projects! I just love the beautiful vase!
Thanks for linking up over at Silhouette Challenges

Have a creative day.
Pam
♥ Scrap N Sew Granny ♥
♥ Pam's Stitched With Love ♥
♥ DT for Silhouette Challenges ♥

Becky said...

What great projects! They're all beautiful.

Scrapper69 said...

OMGOSH!! What AWESOME projects Carol! I so LOVE the butterfly etching.... very pretty! :o)

Theresa DT Sister

Kim. said...

Oh my you have just blown me away with all your idea's. I could imagine a few of those tea lights outdoors looking really pretty and you last project looks fantastic, I will definitely try that.
Kim x

Darnell said...

Me, bowing down, Carol!! Simply brilliant!! Hugs, Darnell

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I am amazed at your designs on the glass, absolutely stunning work.
Faith x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...