Saturday 31 December 2016

Papertrey Ink and Creative Expressions Sending Hugs card



Hello everyone and welcome to a brand new challenge for a brand new year over at Happy Little Stampers



This is a regular watercolour challenge that is anything goes, and each month we will have an optional twist that you can use if you want to have some extra fun. Our first twist is stencil, and I came up with this card





I started with a piece of watercolour paper and taped the Creative Expressions Ivy Background stencil to it. I then used several shades of blue watercolours with a fairly dry brush and painted over different parts of the stencil to give some variation of colour. The brush has to be pretty dry or the watercolour will seep under the stencil, which is okay, but I was going for a cleaner look here.



When the panel was dry, I trimmed it into three pieces and matted it onto black card before layering it up on the base card. I die cut the sentiments in black and white, and shadowed them so they would pop more on the card. The Hugs sentiment is a die from PTI that I have had in my stash for a long time without using it but it looks good here and covers the card well. Have you tried the Nuvo Crystal Drops yet? I have new bottle of the white Drops and made a few dots to finish the card off. I'm quite impressed - they held the dome shape really well and were easy to glue on.





Video Tutorials using our optional twist
Brushos and Stencils by Kylie Purtell (7:47)
Watercolour Stencil Masking Technique by Ingrid Blackburn (8:27)
Stencils and Watercolours by Justine Hovey (2:57)
Stencilled Watercolour Background by Tiffany Johnson (2:36)

Video Tutorials without our optional twist
Watercolour Stamped Butterflies by Ingrid Blackburn (12:08)
Brushos and Glossy Cardstock by Kylie Purtell (5:34)
Fun and Easy Watercolouring by Kamila Routsis (8:31)
Watercolour Smash Technique by Ingrid Blackburn (12:08)
Stamping with Gelatos by Kylie Purtell (7:04)

We are lucky enough to have Barb join us as Guest Designer this month and you can check out her  lovely card-and see lots of inspiration from the team over at the Happy Little Stampers Blog.

Thanks for stopping by

Hugs
Carol  

15 comments:

Michelle said...

Carol, you've done an amazing job of keeping the watercolour under control to create those nice clean lines with the stencil! Gorgeous card! Happy New Year!

Paper Therapy Ponderings said...

very beautiful card
Barb Housner

Kylie said...

You have acheived a beautiful finish on this card, Carol. The blue and black are so pretty together!! xx

Gloria said...

Looks so beautiful!
Happy New Year Carol!
Hugs,

Rema DeLeeuw said...

Fabulous!

Marina said...

This is lovely - I love the black against the blue.

Cut It Up Challenge Blog said...

Gorgeous paper and I love the design of this card. The three-panel card is one of my favorites. The font on the HUGS sentiment is very pretty. The one on the Folk Art Festival Cricut cartridge is very similar.

Thanks for joining us for our Out With the Old, In With the New challenge at Cut it Up, and Happy New Year! Enjoy using your new supplies.

Evelyn
http://mylittlecraftblog.wordpress.com

Melissa L. said...

Hi, Carol! This is beautiful. I love your pretty Creative Expressions Ivy Background and how you used it. The 3 piece panel is very pleasing and I love the PTI dies. Lovely combination of colors too. Happy New Year and I'm glad you enjoyed the video. JJ Heller is one of my favorite singers right now. She has a new Christmas album out which I've been enjoying very much. :)

Brenda said...

Oh Carol, love how this challenge card came out! Looks so pretty and I love the color combo. Great stencil too. Hugs, Brenda

Kim Heggins said...

What a fabulous card....sweet way to send hugs! Happy New Year.

Ros Crawford said...

Oh it's beautiful!! I'm definitely going to play along!

Jenny Colacicco said...

Nuvo drops rock - I've bought all the colours and haven't used them much yet though - you've inspired me :) This card is so pretty and elegant. I'm really impressed how you managed to watercolour with a stencil - and how crisp and clean it turned out. I've never managed to do this successfully so i guess my brush was too wet - i'll try again!! Jenny x

Tamie said...

Incredible colors and I love, love, love the sending hugs in black. It goes to perfect with the swirls in the background. Happy 2017! Thank you so much for sharing your creation with us at 4 Crafty Chicks Anything Goes Challenge.

Tamie DT

Nora Noll said...

This is so pretty Carol. I love the blue (my favorite!!) and the way you have done the panels. The black makes the design POP!!

Larelyn said...

I love the simple lines of this card. Stenciling is something I definitely want to try. Are you loving Nuvo? I have a lot of colors. Thanks for joining us at Cut it UP.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...