Wednesday 6 July 2016

Recycled plant pot for Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media Challenge



Hello and welcome to the July Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media Challenge. This time we want you to look round your home/garden, or anywhere really, and find something to recycle.







I decided to recycle a terracotta plant pot that had seen better days, but I liked the shape of it,  so thought it was worth spending some time on. I started by washing the pot, and then added a coat of gesso before painting it with several thin coats of acrylic paint. I decided not to paint the inside of the pot because it would come into contact with water when I water the plant and I wasn't sure how the paint would stand up to that.




Next, I used a Martha Steward leaf stencil and added a border of stenciled fern leaves around the top of the pot using more paint and a foam pouncer brush.



Once everything was dry, I stamped the stems and leaves from the Papertrey Ink Reasons to Smile stamp set all around the bottom of the pot, and then went round and stamped a variety of flower heads in pink ink. To finish off, I added gold gilding wax to the rim of the pot and tied a bow with some jute twine.



Here is the finished pot with the plant that was the inspiration for it.

I can't wait to see what projects you come up with, and if you want some more inspiration before you dive in, why not pop over to the Happy Little Stampers Blog to see what my talented Teamies have to show you. We have the wonderful Stephanie Lanzalotto joining us as Guest Designer this month, and we also have some links to tutorials that you might find interesting.


I'd like to play along at






Thanks for stopping by.

Hugs
Carol x




17 comments:

Paper Therapy Ponderings said...

this is a wonderful pot for your plant. Good to give it a new beautiful life. thanks for sharing
Barb Housner

Suchi said...

That's perfect recylcing! Amazing project! Thanks for dropping by my blog....:)
Suchi xx

Carole said...

Brilliant recycling..........too nice to stand in the rain in the garden though!

Melissa L. said...

Lovely, Carol! Are your plants still blooming? Will see you soon!

Kim Heggins said...

You are so clever....what a sweet pot and those flowers look so wonderful.

Nora Noll said...

Oh how CUTE!! I LOVE that you planted the same color flowers as your stamp. Such a fabulous project!

Susan said...

Beautiful - you made the pot perfect for the plant that is in it! Thanks for explaining what base layers you put down - I might try that with some of my old terracotta pots.

Sarah said...

What an amazing transformation Carol and such a brilliant idea!! xx

Loll said...

This is so awesome Carol!! Great idea! xx

Seemaa said...

Love this project Carol, especially that little touch of gold is a luxurious finishing touch

Michelle said...

Lovely. So funny the rosa on the pot fits exactly to the flowers.
xxx Michelle

Brenda said...

OMGosh Carol, I love how your little flower pot turned out!!! What a great way to breathe life into an old terracotta pot. It is fresh and so sweet looking. Your flower is just gorgeous in it!! Now I feel the urge to go look around my garage shelf and see if I have any old terracotta pots to paint. lol Hugs, Brenda

Helen Gullett said...

What a beautiful pot! Lov the painted decor,

Mrs.B said...

What a lovely makeover you've given this pot. Love the base colour with the pretty pink flowers.
Thanks for sharing at FSC
Avril x

Kara Lynne said...

What a great item to recycle! It turned out so perfect for the flowers you potted.

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Great recycling job on your pot. I love the soft greens and pinks. I am honored to be guest designing at HLS MM Challenge along with you.

Brenda in IN said...

Carol, this is just as cute as it can be. I love your idea and the way you decorated the pot. And then Used it! So very cool.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...