Thursday 12 October 2023

Papertrey Ink and Spellbinders Christmas cards

 


Hello everyone and welcome to another challenge at ABC Christmas Challenges.

Things are starting to hot up on the Christmas card-making front with lots of Christmas fayres coming up for those who make to sell, and if you've been joining in with us throughout the year, you'll be well on the way to ensuring you have a good supply. I was sad last Christmas to find a few notes with Christmas cards saying that some friends would not send real cards in the future but would send e-cards because of the cost. Of course, I really understand the difficulty of stretching our incomes with ever-increasing costs, but I enjoy sending and receiving some handmade or shop-bought kindness in the post and I'm sorry that inflation is going to kill this off for some people. On another track, am I the only one who misses getting a phone call in favour of a text or email? When I mentioned this to my youngest son, he told me that the younger generation finds actual phone calls a bit alarming and intrusive because they have to drop what they are doing to take the call rather than respond to a text in their own time. He reckons that younger people will still call their parents because it is what they prefer, but will rarely call their friends any more. My big birthday is making me feel old and a bit maudlin lol!!


Anyway, the ABC Challenge this month is looking for 

U for Use it up

and

V for vertical


This is my U for Use It Up

For this card, I had a panel in my snippets box that was stamped with the Christmas lights but I had made a mess of stamping the sentiment on it. The word 'Christmas' had not been stamped well and looked blurred. I decided that it could be rescued by colouring in the gaps with a green fine-liner pen, and although it wasn't perfect, it looked usable afterwards. 

I added the die-cut sparkle word, cut from holographic card, stacked it and put glossy accents on the lightbulbs which makes a difference IRL. 


V for Vertical.

For this card, I took a panel of white card and inked it with some oxide inks. I cut lots of snowflakes of different sizes from snippets of leftover white card and glued them to the panel. I then die-cut a smaller panel from the centre, backed it with white card and raised this before adding it back in.




The sentiment was die cut from silver card, offset on some of the leftover inked card and I added some silver snowflakes around it. I finished off by adding some pearls to the snowflakes.

My talented DT friends have some great inspiration for you over on the blog and you can enter your creations over there if you'd like to join us this time.

Thanks for stopping by,

Hugs
Carol x











5 comments:

brenda said...

Two lovely seasonal cards Carol, whilst I love the fun and colours of the first, I think the second just pips it, so elegant.

B x

Vicky Hayes said...

Loving both of these bright beauties Carol! It is sad to hear that some don't want to send cards any more. But there's hope! My young people tell me that they love getting things in the post and that it's much more exciting than an email - even the pretty emails can't compete! We must carry on flying the flag for personalisation and hand crafted hugs with a fold down the middle! Sending hugs to you! Vicky x

Brenda said...

I thought about not sending cards at one point and then thought, it is Christmas, you have to send cards! So as long as I can afford to get the stamps, I will be sending. My youngest son texts me through out his work week and I enjoy that, but my favorite time is when he is driving home from work and he calls just to chat or to tell me something cool that happened at work, or his aggravations about work. LOL When he worked at our local movie theater, he would come in late night and tell me about his night while his dad slept through it all. I so enjoyed that time. Then after his dad passed, he could come in and lay down in his dad's spot and tell me about his evening. Those are memories that just stick with you, not a text. So I'm right there with you Carol and I'm so happy that my 27 year old still likes to chat with me on the phone as he drives home.

I am so glad you saved your first card! It is so festive and fun!!! Really puts one in the Christmas spirit! I love it! I love your second one too, it is so elegant and regal looking. The silver peace takes it over the top. Just gorgeous and stunning! Hugs, Brenda

Sarah said...

What gorgeous cards Carol, love the lights, such fun and I love the snowflakes, so elegant. I know the cost of postage is getting ridiculous but I intend to still send cards, it's a special time of year and a chance to touch base with friends and family. Our boys still ring but mostly it's a quick WhatsApp for a catch up or to send pictures of the grandchildren/pup!! Surely your big birthday is 40!! xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Stunning cards, so different, but both wonderful.
Faith x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...